Need Assessment Surveys in Villages Around Bharat Oman Refineries Ltd.(BORL) for Integrated Development Of Villages Under CSR Activities
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is understood to be the way the industries integrate social, environmental and economic concern into their values, culture, decision making strategy and operations in a transparent and accountable manner and thereby establish better practices within the industry. In short the basic concept of CSR is to improve the quality of life of persons residing within the periphery of corporate’s presence through interventions in the fields like health, education, infrastructure, creation of community assets etc.
Followings are the basic objective of the study : -
- To conduct rapid need assessment and prioritization of activities in terms of immediate requirement, midterm and long term requirement.
- To prepare data base of these villages through collection of secondary information.
- Community perception towards present CSR intervention with particular reference to planning and development of CSR programme.
The basic methodology is the collection of secondary and primary data through structured format as mentioned below :-
- Village Schedule (Secondary Information) - The schedule highlights the status of village in terms of various parameters like demography, agriculture, animal husbandary, non farm activities etc. The data on avaialibilty of various facilities like infrastructure, educational institution, banks, storage etc have also been collected. In short the village schedule provides information about the state of village in terms of various socio – economic facilities which provide a clear picture to BORL about what type of efforts are required.
- Focused Group Discussion (FGD) – Primary Information - A very broad based group consisting of sarpanch, Panchayat Secretary, Panchayat members, school teacher, Anganwadi worker, representatives of APL / BPL households, cultivators, SHG members etc have been identified. The entire format has been divided into items like agriculture, animal husbandary, non – farm activity, education, health, infrastructure, implementation of government schemes etc. The information regarding necessity within 0 to 2 years , 2 to 5 years and 5 years and above in the classification of short, mid term and long term needs has been collected. A SWOT analysis has also been attempted.
- Sampling Frame - The sampling frame consisted of 23 villages located around BORL where CSR activities are being implemented. The list has been made available by BORL. No sampling technique has been followed.